Wednesday, October 3, 2007

From Vancouver to Ottawa

For the past eight years I have lived on the streets form Vancouver to Ottawa and everywhere in between. The fact is that it is a lot easier to become homeless then it is to get off the streets and away from the lifestyle.

When I finally had enough of the whole scene I took a look at what factors were keeping me on the streets – addiction, unemployment and scars from the past. No problem, I was fully and completely willing to change and work on recovery. Now six months later, I’m sober, employable, going to counseling but, still on the streets.

I am not losing faith that someday I will have a life that I want. I do realize that every big step I took opened a new door to plenty of other steps I had to do that I was not prepared for. If you do decide to change, don’t let setbacks or new challenges stop you. It is a lot harder than you could have imagined.

Good Luck!

No comments: